P.O. Box 153 Mystic, Connecticut 06355
Chartered June 8th, 1954
Mystic Rotary Club
K. R. Ravindran
Interim President John Merkel
President Elect Rhona Heyl
Vice President Dane Vartebedian
Secretary Mike Urgo
Recording Secretary Carol Kent
Sergeant-at-Arms Bruno Giulini
Historian William Oat
October 5, 2015 Edited by the LOG Committee.
The meeting of September 28, 2015 was opened by President Jake. Bill Stamm began the meeting with the singing of America the Beautiful, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag, the Four-Way-Test and a moment of silent reflection.
Guests: Larry Gardner, Newtown Rotary; Mary Richardson, Norwich Rotary; Greg Keith and Alicia Dawes, Stonington Public Schools.
Raffle: Bill Stamm had the winning ticket, but missed the Ace.
Food Bank: $2.
- Jake Hanley announced that 3 Past Presidents will fill the rest of his term as President: John Merkel, John Bradshaw, and George Sylvestre. Each will serve in that role for 3 months.
- John Merkel will serve as program chairman for the club. Please send ideas for speakers/topics to him.
- There will be no Rotary meeting on October 12, Columbus Day.
- There will be no Executive Board meeting next week.
- John McHugh announced that the dictionary distribution for 3rd graders is scheduled for later in October.
- Jake Hanley shared Mystic Noank Library’s appreciation for our funding of “Every Hero Has a Story.”
- Purchase a Rotary Apron ($15) and a Rotary Hat ($15). The apron will keep you clean, and the hat is just plain stylish! See Jack Fix.
- Lower Middle Cemetery Project-postponed until later this fall.
- Bruno Giulini was happy to share that he worked the chains at Haddam-Killingworth HS football game where grandson is on the football team.
- Tim Evers enjoyed visit to South Carolina, learned about Gulag culture.
- Dave Stryker enjoyed a wedding in Providence.
- Peter Stuart noted the beauty of last night’s lunar eclipse.
- Larry Gardner was happy to be guest speaker.
- Barry Saluk shared that the first sponsor of ½ marathon has been named.
- Mary Richardson thanked the club for their warm welcome.
- Biddle Morris was happy to see the eclipse.
- Nancy MacMillan thanked Jake for his service to the club.
- Amy Pisani expressed that she was happy and sad for Jake.
- John Merkel was pleased to announce that polio remains in only 2 countries.
- John Bradshaw gave an update on his wife’s mother in Arizona.
- Betty Smith expressed her best wishes to Jake.
ROSTER UPDATES/ CHANGES:
Please give changes/ updates to Jane (email@example.com) for the Log and Jack Fix (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the roster.
Jeff Kramer’s address is 1 Jutland Ct., Mystic, CT 06355.
MYSTIC ROTARY ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB
If you have forgotten your password, request a new one from Jack Garbarino.
- Family of Rotary contact is Betty Smith. Anyone with a major life event going on, a death in the family, illness etc. please let her know.
BIRTHDAYS AND ANNIVERSARIES: Oct. 6-19
Maria Teresa Walker will celebrate a birthday on October 13.
SYNOPSIS OF PROGRAM FOR OCTOBER 5
Assistant Governor of Rotary District 7980 Larry Gardner from Newtown Rotary fashioned his presentation around the question, “Is Rotary as well known as you think it should be?” He lives in Sandy Hook and found that his “Rotary moment” occurred shortly after the tragedy involving the untimely deaths of several children and adults at Newtown Elementary School. ”Everything,” he recalled, “shut down” as the entire town mourned. His family, he shared, lived only 6 houses away from the Lanza family.
Larry shared that enormous trust was shown for Rotary as people and organizations from across the country picked Rotary to receive their generous donations to help the stricken families and the community. At the end of the process, Larry noted, ¾ of a million dollars were collected from 3,000 contributors, mostly non-Rotarians
“There is without an doubt an understanding of what Rotary is all about,” Larry concluded . “Congratulations to you for being Rotarians.”
NO MEETING NEXT WEEK, October 12- Columbus Day
The speaker for the October 19: To be announced.